Thursday, March 15, 2012

Decisions, Decisions

So I have a huge decision to make.  My tax refund is on the way, and I need to decide what to do with it.  Part of me, the busting-my-ass-to-pay-of-the-loan part, wants to put the whole amount directly towards my loan.  This seems logical for a few reasons.  I didn't have this money before, so I wont miss it when it's put towards the loan.  It's a significant amount of money, it could essentially be another 5 months worth of payments.  And finally, I'll end up putting the same amount of money and then some towards the loan, I might as well do it before I think of other ways to spend it.
However, the 22-year-old part of me wants to spend the money on things I want.  I've had my eye on a few camera accessories and a new laptop for a while, and this money could very easily make me a very happy girl.  I mean, this money is extra gift money, why shouldn't I spend it on myself?
The new-home-owner in me thinks that that money would buy an awful lot of much needed stuff for our new house.  There are lots of things (like a new dishwasher) that we're pretty desperate for but just can't afford right now.  Perhaps this is the money that would get us those things.
And then, there's the little Scrooge in me that just wants to put the money in my Savings Account and save it for a rainy day. 

This is such a difficult decision.  I feel like I'm fighting with myself every minute of the day.  I feel like if I haven't made up my mind by the time the money actually hits my account I may impulse spend it on something completely random that I might regret.  A lot of my budgeting has to do with having plans, because one of my biggest down falls is my impulse spending.  I spend a lot of time trying to convince myself not to impulse buy.  I also utilize a lot of the tricks they talk about, like the 30 day rule and the walk away and see if you come back to it rule.  But my biggest impulse spending issues come in to play in the grocery store.  I have to make a list and force myself to stick to it when grocery shopping. 

So my refund should be here soon, and I don't know which side of me is going to win.  It's going to be a fight to the finish, that's for sure...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, advice and encouragement!