Monday, March 5, 2012

So Here We Go...

Okay, so shall we start with a bit of background?  I'm 22 years old.  I graduated from a State school last May, spent a month unemployed before landing what is probably the perfect job for a recent grad.  I'm making just about 36,000 a year.  However, due to my first two years of college being at a very expensive, non state school where I was not offered financial aid...I'm in about $60,000 worth of debt. 

I can afford to make the basic payments on my (consolidated) student loan.  However, I'm just not feeling paying my loan off for the next 30 years of my life.  So, I have undertaken the incredible task of eliminating my college loan before my 25th birthday. 

I understand that this is not going to be an easy task.  First of all, my boyfriend and I just bought a Townhouse.  It's a lovely place that gives us some equity and doesn't require us to throw money away at a landlord, but it needed some work, and we had to put quite a bit of money into it at first, and we still are.  We've only been in the house since November, so we're still really getting it going. 

When we moved into this house, we owned two cars, two motorcycles, a 20 year old mattress, two dressers, two TVs, and some dishes stolen from the cafeteria of my former place of education.  We had to furnish an entire house with these few items.  With the help of some generous family donations and the thrift store, we got all the basic items we needed to begin living in our home.  However, I didn't get to put as much money towards my debt as I was hoping. 

So now that the house is beginning to settle, I am beginning the journey.  As I like to write as my main source of entertainment, I thought that it would be interesting to document my attempts to crush my debt in an extremely short amount of time.  So, here we go.... wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, advice and encouragement!